PARTNERS FOR THE RIDE
- Horse Services
- Horse Reports
- Horse Searches
- Prize Programs
- Half Saddlebreds
CH, CH-EQ and CH-SH
Saddlebred Record is designed to provide a reference source of current and accurate information concerning the breeding records of Saddlebred stallions and mares, to identify successful breeding combinations, to identify and honor the outstanding performers of the show ring, and to keep the history of the breed. Upon earning enough points at USEF-licensed Saddlebred competitions, USEF Lite and American Saddlebred Horse and Breeders Association (ASHBA) Star Shows and being approved as a Champion, a horse will be awarded the permanent "CH" prefix to its name on the Registry of the ASHBA records. Saddlebred Record Champions are acknowledged each year in the Journal of the American Saddlebred.
- American Saddlebreds competing in the performance, park, show pleasure, and country pleasure sections must earn 15 points.
- Only 3 points at a single show will be allowed.
- Only 3 points won in "In Hand" classes will count toward the total of 15 points required to earn CH status.
- Only 3 points won at ASHBA Star Shows will count toward the total of 15 points required to earn CH status.
Upon approval by the Board of Directors in 2013, the following changes have been made to the Saddlebred Record Program, effective June 1, 2013.
- Exceptions: An exception may apply in the event a championship class is changed to a stake class at a USEF licensed competition when qualifying has been waived. Horses earning championship class points must have qualified in a prior class. (see the Saddlebred Record Champion Rules - Exceptions)
Upon approval by the Board of Directors in 2009, the following changes have been made to the Saddlebred Record program, effective December 1, 2008.
- The Country Pleasure section is now included in the Saddlebred Record program with the same requirements of the other Saddlebred sections.
Upon approval by the Board of Directors on November 5, 2015, all Country Pleasure points earned prior to December 1, 2008, will be tabulated in the same manner as the current points system for the Saddlebred Record program.
Effective January 1, 2020 - Upon approval by the Board of Directors on January 22, 2020, ASHBA Star Shows (open shows) will count for CH and CH-EQ points. Only 3 points won in ASHBA Star Show classes will count toward the total of 15 points required to earn CH status.
In 2010, the Board of Directors approved the addition of an equitation section to the Saddlebred Record program. For equitation achievements, a horse can be honored by affixing a "CH-EQ" designation in the Registry of the ASHBA permanent records. In some cases, equitation results may not have been received or the name of the horse was not available. Horses with equitation records can have points added with proper documentation of competition results. A worksheet to list competition results has been included with the CH-EQ application and rules for purposes of researching results not recorded with ASHA/ASR.
- American Saddlebreds competing in Saddleseat and Pleasure Equitation sections must earn 15 points.
- Only championship and finals count for points.
- A horse that wins the Triple Crown (Senior UPHA Challenge Cup, NHS Good Hands and USEF Medal) is automatically eligible for CH-EQ status. This may be over a horse's total show career and can be with multiple riders.
American Saddlebreds who have been mounts for riders earning the Saddle Seat Equitation Triple Crown (the "Good Hands" National Horse Show Saddle Seat Event; the United States Equestrian Federation Saddle Seat Medal; the United Professional Horsemen's Association Challenge Cup) are the first horses honored, and as such, form the foundation of this new section. These horses are:
CH-EQ Vanity's Sparkling Coin
CH CH-EQ Glenview's Warlock
CH-EQ Magic Marauder
CH-EQ One Step Above
CH-EQ Callaway's Will Gillen
CH CH-EQ CF First Light of Dawn
CH-EQ Kiss of the Zodiac
Effective July 5, 2020, and October 25, 2020, the Board of Directors voted to approve and accept the champion designation, CH-SH, program for American Saddlebred and Half-Saddlebred Sport Horses. In addition, the point program for earning a CH-SH designation in Dressage, Endurance and Eventing passed and several historical CH-SH were awarded.
The board voted to automatically award any winner past or future of the CH-SH Wing Tempo Award with their own CH-SH. The following horses (and their disciplines) were awarded the CH-SH:
- CH-SH Genius Northern Tuxedo owned by Lisa Davies Siderman - Endurance
- CH-SH Singsation owned by Darryl Leifheit - Combined Driving
- CH-SH New York City Slicker owned by Jody Swimmer - Dressage
Additionally, EWAC researched and presented a candidate for a historical CH-SH. The Board of Directors also awarded CH-SH Rex Rysdyk the designation for twice completing the grueling 300 mile U.S. Cavalry Endurance challenge in the 1920's.
Guidelines for Saddlebred Record (CH), Saddlebred Record Equitation (CH-EQ) and Saddlebred Record Sport Horse (CH-SH) Dressage, Endurance and Eventing can be found by clicking on the links below.
A 3% processing fee will be added to all ASBHA credit/debit card transactions.
Saddlebred Record Sport Horse Eventing Champion Application and Rules
Equitation Hall of Fame